Monday, August 16, 2010

meteor shower

A little bit of writing for today...

A few nights ago I bundled up in a hoodie and sweatpants, grabbed my fleece blanket, and walked down to the lake to watch a meteor shower. I was alone and it was late. 11:36pm to be exact. I sat down on an Adirondack chair and looked up at the open sky. About every five minutes I would see a flash of light shoot across the black sheet above, and with each meteor I became filled with a joy and awe that words really can't explain. I felt like a child, and I laughed out loud (somewhat obnoxiously ...imagine that) as the sky transformed above me. I knew that I was watching God paint the heavens, and it felt like an art show of sorts which was designed just for me. Each meteor brought on another laugh, and a deeper understanding of how real and alive and creative God is. I got up from the chair and sat on the edge of the dock. I saw the reflection of the sky in the lake below, a mirror image of the vast starry night. Crickets hummed their sharp noises all around. A fish would jump and pierce the surface of the still lake every couple of minutes. Squirrels bustled about in the trees hanging overhead, occasionally plopping an acorn into the lake. A coyote howled in the distance. Several planes flashed slowly across the dark sky. I was in the midst of a full-sensory experience. The dew of summer night settled in and dampness came upon my exposed face. I laid down on my back to gaze at the stars, just like I had done so many times as a child, and the deep, rich shadows of the night enveloped me. While the world around me was sleeping, I was fully awake. After watching a few more meteors dash across the atmosphere, something to my immediate right caught my eye. A giant dock spider was spindling its web silently beside me. This little creature filled me with fascination, rather than the usual disgust. In the same way that I was watching the creator paint the skies above me, I was able to witness the craft of another artist as it built a perfect web out of the finest silk. The evening was wonderfully divine, a true kiss from heaven!

No comments:

Post a Comment

...so what do you think?